Nora Burmeister's Capstone Portfolio

Emerging technology, improving access to information, and advocating for the user are just a few of the things I'm passionate about. I'm interested in both public and academic library services, and work to stay especially up to date on digital and electronic innovations in the library industry. I have been the recipient of a scholarship to attend Online Northwest, a yearly conference on libraries, technology, and culture, as well as being one of two worldwide recipients of a Taylor & Francis travel grant to attend Electronic Resources and Libraries, a conference which explores ideas, trends, and technologies in eResources & digital library services (see excerpts from my winning essays at http://electroniclibrarian.org/tfstudent-norab/).

I started my career in libraries as an AmeriCorp*VISTA (Volunteer in Service to America) at Clark College in Vancouver, WA in 2009, managing and expanding the small library of the Adult Basic Education and English as a Second Language programs departments. I got a chance to seem in real life how libraries change lives as I connected students to resources that helped them get their GEDs or become citizens. I fell in love with library service, and went on to complete another AmeriCorps year at High Plains Library District in Weld County, Colorado. I returned from Colorado to begin the program that would fill my next few years with stress, accomplishment, curiousity and education - the ESU Slim Program in Portland, OR. Since beginning the program, I've worked in the libraries of the University of Western States, the National College of Natural Medicine, Birthingway College of Midwifery, and Clark College. I recently moved to Bellingham, WA to work full time at the University of Western States' Western Libraries. Thanks to the ESU SLIM program, I've been able to provide informed and thoughtful contributions to each of my employers and to provide exceptional user centered service to patrons at each institution. You can take a deeper look at my reflection on my time in the SLIM program in my professional development reflection.

This portfolio maps assignments and course to the educational outcomes and professional values of the Emporia State University School of Library and Information Management.