LI851:  Managing the School Library Media Center

LI851 dealt with management techniques related to the organization, circulation of materials, staffing, budgeting, and daily operations of a school library.  Strategic planning, goal setting, and program design emphasized how the school librarian’s role includes being an instructional leader, collaborative planner, and team teacher.

Artifacts:  Spending Rationale and Proposed Budget and New Teacher Library Orientation

The Spending Rationale and Proposed Budget assignment allowed me to gain some practical experience in the art of planning a budget that would meet my school library’s needs.  I talked to real book vendor representatives and learned how school book orders are fully processed and can be catered to fit a specific school library’s needs.  This assignment also required that I purchase some furniture with a very a small budget and write a grant for a specific program or task in the library.  I decided to unite all three areas and came up with a STEM/Video Production focus to guide my budgeting and spending.

The New Teacher Library Orientation was a 90 second video that introduced new teachers to the librarian, the library, and the library services.  The video was supposed to be short because new teachers are very busy with their new teaching responsibilities, so this restraint allowed me to practice clarity and concision while still effectively promoting the school library.