LI832:  Resources and Services for Young Adults

LI832 focused on providing resources and creating engaging programs for young adults, ages 11-18.  The course progressed from observing and evaluating a library that serves a young adult population to creating an electronic book talk to developing a program plan that promotes reading and information literacy to young adults.  We also posted weekly to a young adult literature blog in which we described a YA book published in the last three to five years from a different genre each week.

Artifacts:  Program Plan and E-Book Talk

For the Young Adult Program Plan, I was required to create a public library program for either the month of October or February, and I had to use two of five program topics.  I decided to create “Controlled Chaos,” a program that encourages teens to see that researching can be a fun and collaborative process, and “Starring You!,” a program that encourages teens to read biographies and autobiographies and to write their own life stories.  I described how both the program for the school library and the program for the public library were publicized and how they were assessed for their effectiveness in meeting teens’ interests and needs.

For the Electronic Book Talk, I selected an electronic format in order to create a two to three minute video about a book, a series, a particular author’s books, or a genre that would appeal to teenagers.  I decided to use Windows Movie Maker to create my book talk about the young adult adventure series Perry and Gobi by Joe Schreiber.  I taught myself how to use Movie Maker through online tutorials and trial and error.  I looked for images on Creative Commons and music through Vimeo that would match the excitement and themes of the book.