LI810:  Research in Library Science

LI810 introduced me to qualitative and quantitative research methods as they apply in library and information science.  We learned how to analyze and evaluate research based on a set of principles and procedures.

Artifact:  School Librarians and Information Literacy: A Literature Review

For this assignment, my two group members and I got to pick a topic in which we were all interested but whose literature was concentrated in a particular research method.  We chose to focus on the action research method as it relates to how school librarians can improve information literacy in K-12 schools.  We discovered that in the current literature, there are three areas that school librarians should consider as they seek to help students:  (a) collaboration with other education professionals, (b) information literacy training and curriculum models, and (c) librarians’ self-identification as teachers.  Action research was a logical method because the stakeholders in the schools sought to make positive changes in their schools to increase students’ information literacy.  The researchers primarily used surveys, interviews, and questionnaires to collect their data.  Ultimately, we learned that school librarians have the opportunity to make a significant impact on students’ information literacy needs.