Technological Knowledge and Skills

Graduates of the SLIM Master of Library science degree program will be able to:

Employ current and emerging technologies effectively for communication, and to search for, identify, repackage, and deliver information resources.

Website

Electronic Book Talk

Librarians need to be on the cutting edge of technology in order to offer their patrons the most relevant and practical resources that will fit their information needs.  LI815: Information Technology is a course designed to provide basic information on technology concepts and skills that librarians will need to be successful in their fields.  Students explore new technology through Try New Tech! assignments and research how technology can effectively be used for a variety of purposes within the library.  The culminating project for the class was to create a website that featured information about a type of library in which the student hoped to work someday, technology resources, and other tutorials and information that the student may have produced in previous classes.  Though LI832:  Resources and Services for Young Adults is not specifically a class on technology, aspects of technology were incorporated into the class because young adults are very tech-savvy, and young adult librarians should strive to connect with them through technology. 

Because I want to be a high school librarian, the website I created was for a fictional high school called Star Valley High School: Home of the Tomes.  The home page features announcements and general library news.  The “About the Library” page gives information about the creation and renovation of the library, the librarians who work there, and the services the library offers.  “Technology Resources” lists links to and describes websites and blogs that provide helpful technology information.  “Tutorials and Information” features several videos and a Lib Guide of how to use databases or write effectively.  The “Recommendations” page allows viewers to browse reviews of books that young adults would like.  Finally, the “Discussion Board” contains links to several Padlets that solicit information from students.  On every page, there is a link to the library’s Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube sites so that students of the school can keep up with the latest library news via their favorite social media sites. 

The electronic book talk required students to select any electronic format in order to create a two to three minute video about a book, a series, a particular author’s books, or a genre that would appeal to teenagers.  I decided to use Windows Movie Maker to create my book talk about the young adult adventure series Perry and Gobi  by Joe Schreiber.  I taught myself how to use Movie Maker through online tutorials and trial and error.  I looked for images on Creative Commons and music through Vimeo that would match the excitement and themes of the book.

Creating the website was a very fun and practical assignment.  Even though the library I created was fictitious, I pictured myself actually doing similar things on my own library website someday.  The whole project really got me excited about being a high school librarian because of all the ways I can positively influence so many students in the school.  The same sentiment is true for the Electronic Book Talk.  It was one of my favorite assignments of my entire SLIM experience because I knew that I was engaging students with technology and exposing them to exciting new literature.  In fact, I created an electronic book talk through Movie Maker for my high school juniors at the beginning of the 2014-2015 school year that gave them an overview of all the books we would be reading this year.  They were much more engaged in watching the images on the screen and getting excited about the books than if they were just listening to me talk about the books or reading a synopsis of the books on a handout.