Outcome 4: Technological Knowledge and Skills

"Employ current and emerging technologies effectively for communication, and to search for, identify, repackage, and deliver information resources."

Over the course of my time in the School of Library and Information Management at Emporia State University, I was able to take several courses that focused on technology in libraries and the many technological issues currently being faced by library staff. The SLIM courses that focused on technology included:

• LI800: Introduction to Informatics
      • LI815: Information Technology
      • LI819: Information Retrieval
      • LI883: Introduction to Metedata
      • LI884: Advanced Metadata Applications

While some of the courses were theory-based (LI800, LI819), others had a more hands-on approach (LI815, LI883, LI884). This mix of theory and integration allowed me to participate in a wide variety of technological activities, which increased my technology knowledge-base. 

As libraries continue to adapt and change, it will become increasingly important for those of us involved within the library community to stay engaged in the research and utilization of emerging technologies. Adaptation will be key in academic librarianship, especially when teaching to the increasingly diverse community’s librarians often preside over. It is my greatest hope that this incoming generation of librarians embraces new technologies with open arms and continues to change the face of information literacy education.