Outcome 2: Information Resources

"Explain and implement the development, maintenance, and management of collections and resources to meet specific information needs."

One of the most enjoyable courses I had the pleasure of taking was LI855XS: Collection Development and Management. This course, taught by Dr. Janet Capps, “[examined the] principles, policies, and procedures associated with evaluating, selecting, and acquiring materials and resources.” We had multiple assignments throughout the semester, but the most memorable was a poster session. Dr. Capps divided the class into pairs and we were randomly assigned a specific type of library, or library process. Lucky for me, my partner and I were assigned the collection development process of medical libraries. Using PowerPoint, we created a poster that detailed the processes medical/health science libraries go through in order to assess and manage their collections. The poster was presented to the entire class in the style of traditional poster sessions, and the class voted on their favorite poster. Our poster was chosen as one of the best posters in the session, and we received a certificate from Dr. Capps.