Foundations of the Profession

Graduates of the SLIM Master of Library science degree program will be able to

articulate a philosophy of ethical and client-centered information services for the library and information professions.

Information Ethics Analysis Paper on Book Banning and Censorship for 801.docx

The purpose of  the course entitled LI 801XA Foundations of Library and Information Science was stated thusly: “An introduction to information agencies and professions, this course examines the philosophical and ethical underpinnings, roles, societal contexts, and current issues of the global information society.  Students explore the role of information in society, change as reflected in paradigm shifts, the theory and processes of information transfer, and the characteristics of information professionals and professional practices.”

Ranganthan’s Laws of Library Science is one of the theories taught in the class that influenced my thinking in developing this artifact.  The principles in it are as follows:  1) Books are for use, 2) Every reader his or her book (open access), 3) Every book its reader, 4) Save the time of the reader and 5) The library is a growing organism (collections grow and change~ knowledge is dynamic).  Connecting people with the right book and enjoying the dynamics in a library environment that is positively humming and thriving with reading and absorption is one of the main reasons I wanted to become a librarian.

We also learned about Weinstein’s Five Principles of Ethical Intelligence, which are:  1) Do no harm, 2) Make things better, 3) Respect Others, 4) Be fair, and 5) Be loving. In addition, our professor noted that the ALA Code of Ethics states, specifically, the following:  “We uphold the principles of intellectual freedom and resist all efforts to censor library resources,” and also “We distinguish between our personal convictions and professional duties and do not allow our personal beliefs to interfere with fair representation of the aims of our institutions or the provision of access to their information resources."  I had not given much thought to intellectual freedom until this class. Learning about banned books and the dangers of censorship was one of my main takeaways. I was completely enlightened as to the responsibilities of librarians to stay neutral and to provide access to every kind of information without bias.

Assignment 2: Information Ethics Analysis. The class was asked to write a response to a current story in the media about a chosen ethical issue in order to make us more keenly aware of dilemmas and their implications for information organizations.   We were instructed to identify a current controversy (within the last 3 years) related to an aspect of information ethics we were discussing in the course.  Then, we were to select one or more articles from a newspaper (print or online) or a popular press article (e.g. Time, Newsweek).  It needed to broadly pertain to the issues related to information ethics (intellectual freedom, digital copyright, privacy, censorship, etc.). 

I learned to apply the model of intellectual freedom to ethical decision-making in the library  and understand the principles behind choices we make in providing information services equally and fairly to all. I am keenly aware now that there is a model for ethical decision-making that involves letting go of personal prejudices where the sharing of information is concerned.

I began thinking about how to integrate personal values, beliefs, and behaviors with core tenets of the library and information management profession, and how to bring them together in a unified way. Going through case studies of situations we were given to consider "What would you do?" was tough! I hadn't realized there would be so many gray areas to consider that need careful examination ahead of time.  We need to have a strategy in our pocket akin to emergency preparedness.

I learned a vision of what professional service in the library looks like, and I confirmed that my natural personality of  adaptability and openness to new ideas will quite fit nicely in that environment.

One of my biggest lessons that ended up serving me well for the entire two years, stemming from this class, was how to work effectively and collaboratively with others, online, one-on-one, and in large and small groups.  We were taught about group contracts and how to communicate and be accountable to each other, while encouraging and synthesizing a product as a team.  The lessons learned, came in handy for many group projects over the span of my coursework, and will stand me in good stead for years to come.