“I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.” 

“Siempre imaginé que el Paraíso sería algún tipo de biblioteca.”       

--Jorge Luis Borges

Welcome! I hope you enjoy reviewing my Capstone portfolio which highlights examples of projects that I completed  for the MLS degree at Emporia State University (ESU).

My name is Mary Raple and I have worked at the University of Kansas (KU) since 2009.  Currently, I am a Library Specialist in the International Collections unit of Watson Library.  My specialty is Spanish and Portuguese, Latin American and Caribbean Studies. I teach research instruction classes to undergraduates in the Spanish department, as well as working with other areas and groups such as the Applied English Center, international Fulbright scholars, international Hubert H. Humphrey (HHH) Fellows, and visiting high school groups.  I assist with research consultations and reference questions, especially related to Latin American and international matters.  I love creating LibGuides for KU Libraries and have become quite prolific in that area.

I used to be a high school Spanish teacher, a stay-at-home mom, and a volunteer translator for dental missions in Guatemala for many years. I also worked for an international non-profit, and eventually ended up working with KU Libraries.  I especially enjoy being around students and researchers. I hope to continue working in an academic library, engaging in research instruction for students, and working with international  collections and research topics. Because I speak Spanish and have studied several other languages, as well as having traveled to a number of different countries, I am always very interested in all topics involving global and international studies.  Other areas of interest and research include:  DACA, college readiness for all students, especially high school students, information literacy for international students, and international vendors and approval plans.